I had to do one of those questionnaires before my prenatal massage the other day and I almost dropped my pen after scribbling the number “8” under Months Pregnant.
Am I really eight months pregnant?
Call me naïve, but I always envisioned that at some point during this rite of passage between womanhood and motherhood I would be given all the secrets to the Universe and somehow understand just how everything works. At the very least, I thought it would make sense to me that it is possible for me to both create and grow a human inside me.
But to be completely honest, this whole miraculous process still boggles my mind more than anything in the world.
Even with all the rolls, stretches, and kicks to the ribs, I still can’t believe I’ve got a 3+ pound baby growing inside of me. Or that I’m going to get my life-long dream of being a Mama in less than two months!
I wonder if all Moms feel this mystified by the process of pregnancy and childbirth, or if I’m just really strange…
[Pretty hard to deny that there’s a little one in there - growing bigger every day! Also, is it just me, or are my eyes getting smaller as time goes on?]
Since I’ve jumped right in to me already, here are a few other fun facts to go along with my 32-week update:
- New developments: Swelling [especially in my fingers] and lower back pain have become an every day occurrence over here, as well as the eczema/rash on my fingers. Oh, also, due to the lower back pain, I’ve started to waddle! [Tell me I’m not the only woman who has looked forward to waddling…]
- Cravings: I feel extra hot lately, so I’ve been loving cold, fresh fruit – especially lychee, watermelon, and papaya – as well as coconut water and veggie juice. Also, I’ve really been loving gluten-free toast with butter + a drizzle of honey + cinnamon on top. Other than that, I crave nap-, movie- and Ben-time.
- Aversions: boats [or anything that’ll make me feel queasy], intense hikes, and my apple cider vinegar drinks every morning.
- Workouts: have been getting much more low-key lately. I finished teaching my TurboKick classes today, which means I’m officially on ‘maternity leave’ from being a fitness instructor. It feels so strange, but I’m excited to spend more time in the ocean and pool and less time with the high-impact stuff!
- How I’m feeling: Overall I feel really good, although my energy has certainly dipped quite a bit since the second trimester and naps are back to being necessities again. I’ve also begun to feel big lately – everyone can tell that I’m pregnant now, which is exciting!
- Nesting: I’ve definitely started to feel more maternal lately and I’m getting a bit anxious to get our home in order for the little one. Ben and I spent last weekend organizing our storage, donating, and clearing out a dresser just for Baby. We won’t have a nursery for the little one or anything [we don’t feel we’ll need one], but it’s nice to have his/her stuff a bit more organized in our small space. Aside from that, I’ve been keeping the house way more tidy than typical [a plus for Ben].
- Baby position and movement: At our midwife appointment on Tuesday, the little one was perfectly sized and in the occiput posterior position, meaning he/she is head down with his/her legs facing outward:
We’ve still got lots of time – and the baby’s probably already in another position – but eventually we want the baby to flip around so that his/her legs are facing my spine for the birth. As far as movement goes, our midwife Tina was impressed by how much movement she felt while palpating my belly – she says this little one has got some gusto, while also having a very sweet and gentle vibe.
- Childbirth Classes: tonight is our first childbirth class and I couldn’t be more excited! Our midwife is hosting a three-week class with a few of her other clients and community members – it’ll be low-key [pot-luck style], and I’m hoping to meet some like-minded families and find support more than anything. Ben will be gone for the last class, so my Mom will get to join me for that one – perfect because she’ll be there for the birth!
And now, on to the baby!
“By now, your baby weighs 3.75 pounds and is about 16.7 inches long, taking up a lot of space in your uterus. You’re gaining about a pound a week and roughly half of that goes right to your baby. In fact, she’ll gain a third to half of her birth weight during the next 7 weeks as she fattens up for survival outside the womb. She now has toenails, fingernails, and real hair (or at least respectable peach fuzz). Her skin is becoming soft and smooth as she plumps up in preparation for birth.” [Source.]
I find it incredible how much this baby moves – rolling, kicking, stretching, hiccupping – all day long! Sometimes he/she will kick so hard I feel my entire body rock. It makes me so happy to know that he/she is doing so wonderfully in there, but I’m also curious about how he’s gonna gain a third of his birth weight and still fit in my uterus. I’m amazed by how much my belly is growing every day and am excited to see just how much more I’ll grow before baby comes!
Aloha Pumehana. Whether you’re here to find balance, wholesome recipes or inspiration, I hope you enjoy the posts. Please subscribe to Green Plate Dinners to receive automatic updates and be the first to read new posts for free!